The South West Athletic Conference held its Cross Country Championship on Saturday, Oct. 5. The races took place at the Miry Creek Golf Course in Cabri. 116 runners, from grades 4-12, took part in the event. SWAC had 24 runners (midget to senior) qualify for SHSAA provincials in Prince Albert on October 12, though not all runners are able to go attend. Top three results in each classification:
• Bantam Girls: 1st – Sarah Bierbach (Consul), 2nd – Addison Allen (Centennial), 3rd -Hannah Ulm (Herbert)
• Bantam Boys: 1st – Ryder Bradford (Cabri), 2nd – Seth Grde (Frontier), 3rd – Kristian Mything (Val Marie)
• PeeWee Girls: 1st – Payton Fisher (Consul), 2nd – Navy Louma (All Saints), 3rd – Surrey Lamotte (Ponteix)
• PeeWee Boys: 1st – Colter Folk (All Saints), 2nd – Rhett Erickson (Consul), 3rd – Toby Klassen(Centennial).
• Midget Boys: 1st – Kyle Anderson (Frontier), 2nd – Jesse Arendt (Eastend), 3rd – Evan Fisher (Consul).
• Midget Girls; 1st – Greta Lopeter (SC), 2nd – Mya Girard (Eastend), 3rd – Taylor Smith (Maple Creek)
• Junior Boys: 1st – Elijah Nicholas (Vanguard), 2nd – Ashton Schroeder (SC), 3rd – Davis Koethler (SC)
• Junior girls: 1st – Hillary Lacelle (SCCHS), 2nd – Kirsten Hanson (SCCHS), 3rd – Alyssa Bennett (SCCHS).
• Senior Boys: 1st — Zander Rommelaere (SCCHS), 2nd – Dylan Pierce (SCCHS), 3rd – Austin Coward (SCCHS).
• Senior Girls: Kea Frase (SCCHS).
SWAC Girls Volleyball League standings after the girls third week of Tuesday night play: Gull Lake is in first place with 30 points, Frontier (22 points), Shaunavon (20 points), Eastend and Vanguard are tied with 11 points, Hazlet is in last place. Host sites on Tuesday, Oct. 8 are Shaunavon (Gull Lake/Frontier) and Hazlet (Vanguard/Eastend).
SWAC boys play their volleyball league on Wednesday nights. After three of weeks of matches, Cabri is on top with 20 points, Shaunavon and Frontier are tied with 10 points. Vanguard has 12 points.
On Wednesday, Oct. 9, Vanguard hosts Cabri and Frontier host Shaunavon. Check with your school for game times.
The SCCHS Colts soccer team won their league semifinal, on Saturday, over Weyburn (6-1). They will play Moose Jaw Peacock in the final on Thursday in Moose Jaw. The Colts are also the host for SHSAA Provincial Soccer on October 25-26. Make sure to mark your calendars to come and see some of the best soccer in the province!
The SCCHS Ardens are undefeated in league (and tournament) play. They will play Weyburn in the league semifinal on Tuesday, Oct. 8 (in Moose Jaw).
In 9-man football games this past week, Indian Head beat Shaunavon (46-6) and Notre Dame beat Maple Creek (24-10). On Thursday, Oct. 10, Shaunavon hosts Lumsden and Maple Creek will be on the road to Indian Head.
The Hague Panthers were in Gull Lake to take on the hometown Lions. Hague came away with a 54-6 victory. Gull Lake’s next game is in Hanley on Oct. 10.
The SCCHS Colts football team had a bye this past weekend. Their next game is Thursday, Oct. 10 in Moose Jaw against host team Vanier.
October 6-12 is “School Sport Week” in Saskatchewan. Look for promotions on twitter/Facebook/Instagram. SWAC Schools have been asked to share pictures of their ‘fall sport athletes’ (or maybe even year round athletes). Those pictures will be uploaded to our SWAC twitter/Facebook/Instagram sites.
The Chinook School Division Sports Report is submitted by Valerie Gordon.